.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
FEATURED REVIEW: Samsung & First Look Studios ACROSS THE HALL Film Party

Friday, April 07, 2006

 

EVENT REVIEW: GEN ART'S THE NEW GARDE FASHION FETE 2006

“A WORLD OF EMBODIMENT”


By Shannon Callahan


When I attended this flourishing youthful fashion celebration, one of Gen Art’s annual events, I was delightfully engaged as I found myself entering the Park Plaza Hotel near downtown Los Angeles, soon to ascend a grand staircase to a night of pure romanticism of life and art. Three designers -- Kit Pistol, Mandula and Unhee -- took this event by storm (enticing celebrities such as Lisa Loeb and Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers to attend). The talented trio exemplifies the meaning of art in nature, with unique models who emulated the night’s atmospheric motif.

Once I coat-checked, imbibed my *first* drink at the open bar, and crossed the main lobby to the other side, a gentle, naive theme greeted me in the side room, expressed by vivid imagery; the scene of “children” (actually youthful-acting-and-appearing models) playing in swings and slides -- juxtaposed by provocative, sleek clothing -- was alive and fun. Experiencing good energy and a quick ciggie on the patio near the swing-scene, I remembered that this was only one of three rooms to encounter, and soon I was drawn to wander on…

Arriving at the second level of the Hotel, I entered a gargantuan room, and on the stage I was astounded at first glance to see a pirate ship, wondering who’s walking the plank! Petite models stoically and statically adorned the stage, appearing to have little knowledge of what to do with themselves, even seeming a little silly. I kept hoping they could have had a sense of acting direction, or even a little experience in movement, SOMETHING! So without hesitation I ventured to the final room, where a mechanical-like structure embodied the focal point of the room, with a fragility brought on by the lanky angelic models who, unlike those in the other rooms, were serious in movement that complemented the ambient music and the theme and ethereal vibe of the night. Absolutely my favorite and the most artful!

With Gen Art shows occurring not only in Los Angeles, but in New York, San Francisco and other cities as well, you can become a member and attend more of their great events by checking out GenArt.org, where you can also view pictures from this event and others.

# # #





<< Back to TRR EVENTS Home